What’s the best skincare routine and products for oily skin?
Oily skin is skin that has excess natural oil or sebum. It is caused by the over-active sebaceous glands that produce the oil.
Oily skin is problematic not just because of it’s unattractive, shiny and sweaty appearance but also because it is prone to acne.
Excessive oil mixes with impurities and dead skin cells to form a plug that clogs the pores of the skin. This creates a breeding ground for harmful bacteria. They invade the skin and damage the balance of the natural healthy skin flora. As a result, the skin become inflamed and irritated. Sometimes, the inflammations grow into painful lesions that can cause skin damage.
Here’s what a skin care routine for oily skin should include:
- Oil control and regulation. Too much or too little, both are unhealthy. What it needs is a perfect balance.
- Ingredients with anti-bacterial properties to inhibit the attack of harmful bacteria
- Ingredients with anti-inflammatory properties to calm redness, swelling and itching
- Adequate oil-free and light moisturizing
- Nourishment with fatty acids and antioxidants
- Protection from external aggressions like UV radiation and pollution
- A healthy balance for the skin flora to thrive and function
BLACKPAINT’s products take care of all these specific to bring you a complete skin care routine for oily skin. With BLACKPAINT’s oily skin routine, you achieve healthy, glowing skin. And long lasting results. Find out more.
What makes skin oily?
Skin becomes oily when the sebaceous glands in the skin produce excessive sebum. Sebum is the natural oil produced by the human body to keep the skin moisturized. Moisture is essential for the normal functioning of the skin cells. So sebum isn’t all that bad, it is in fact essential. However, too much of it makes the skin oily and gives it a shiny and sweaty appearance.
If you have oily skin, it could be because of:
- Genetic factors : Some people have a natural tendency to have oily skin because it’s just in their genes. They have inherently overactive sebaceous glands.
- Climatic conditions: If you live in a hot, humid environment, chances are you’ll have more oily skin than if you lived in a cooler, drier place.
- Age: Teenage skin tends to be oilier than mature skin. As skin ages, the sebaceous glands become less active as the collagen in the skin reduces. This is actually one of the reasons why mature skin becomes dry and wrinkly.
- Enlarged pores: The larger the pores in the skin, the more is the sebum produced.
- Using skincare products that aren’t right for you: This is where you can make the most difference. You may not even be aware that you’re using products that don’t suit your skin type! Using low quality, synthetic and chemically-loaded products can also make the skin oily.
- Not moisturizing adequately: Ironically, when you skip the moisturizer because you think it makes your skin oily, your skin becomes more oily.
How to fix oily skin
Oily skin is not only annoying and unattractive, it can also be problematic. It is the main cause for acne that causes major skin damage. So if you want to fix your oily skin, here’s what you should include in your skin care for oily skin:
- Wash and cleanse your skin twice a day. Use a mild product preferably made of natural ingredients.
- Use a toner that contains a natural astringent that calms the skin and alleviates any inflammation
- Keep your skin moisturized with a light, oil-free moisturizer.
- Exfoliate your skin once every week to slough off dead skin cells that may clog the pores
- Use a charcoal, clay, honey or any other natural face mask suited for oily skin once every week. This will help regulate and control oil production and enrich the skin.
More tips to keep oily skin in check
Here are some tips that can help your skin care routine for oily skin:
- Keep blotting papers handy to wipe off excess oil during the day
- Use botanical oils such as jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, rosehip oil, sweet almond oil, etc. to moisturize and nourish the skin.
- Always use skin care and makeup products that are non-comedogenic, i.e. products that don’t clog the pores.
- Use a konjac sponge as a mild exfoliator to de-clog the pores
- Focus on your diet – avoid oily, spicy food and dairy. Eat more super-foods or a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and whole foods.
- Protect your skin from sun exposure as UV radiation can trigger and irritate the skin, causing excess oil production. Use sunscreen or sunblock when you step outside in the sun as a must in your skin care routine for oily skin. Choose products that contain zinc oxide and titanium dioxide for better sun protection
Step 1 : Cleanse
Black Konjac Sponge
Effortlessly extracts blackheads & gently exfoliatesSG$16.90 ADD TO CART SG$16.90
BLACK KONJAC SPONGE is a blackhead remover and gentle exfoliating sponge
- Kneaded with Binchotan Charcoal. Effective for removing blackheads from pores
- The konjac fibers provide a soft, smooth texture for gentle exfoliation
- Soft enough to use daily, it leaves skin feeling smooth and cleansed
Black Paint Soap (with Probiotics)
Deep cleanser & blackhead clearing soap bar for pimples, acne & blackheads
SG$79.00OFF!31% OFF! Select options SG$79.00OFF!31% OFF!
BLACK PAINT SOAP is a deep-pore cleanser, packed with Kishu Binchotan charcoal (white Ubame oak charcoal) exclusively found in Japan.
- This will effectively draw out and clear blackheads & impurities
- Its charcoal exfoliates deep within pores, without stripping your skin of its essential moisture
- It reduces the appearance of acne and blackheads, thus reducing pore size
- It is a blend of 30 premium botanical oils for skin nourishment and hydration
*Not advisable for sensitive skin types
Step 2 : Tone
ROSE WATER is an ACNE skin healing toner (for ACNE)
- Antiseptic to control bacterial overgrowth
- Balances sebum production for less oily skin
- Anti-inflammatory and sedative to calm acne redness
- Astringent properties to tighten your pores
ROSE WATER is a water retention toner (for Dry Skin)
- Contains anti-oxidant effects to slow down skin’s barrier breakdown
- Helps keep your skin’s barrier holding onto water
- Due to moisture retention, your skin becomes soft and supple
FACIAL PAPER is a mask to help better absorption of liquid skincare
- creates a vaporizing effect of liquid skincare to the skin, allowing it to be smaller particles for better skin penetration
- reduces water evaporation and keep the liquid skincare moist, to prolong the period of absorption
The ultimate hydration toner for dry, dehydrated skin by 30 essential skin mineralsSG$19.00 – SG$215.00 Select options SG$19.00 – SG$215.00
BEST WATER is the mineral water for your skin
- Rehydrates skin with 30 essential minerals, restores skin’s natural moisturizing factor (NMF) to prevent water loss
- Makes your skin feels plump, supple and soft
- This toner instantly calms down irritated, chapped skin
- This toner speeds up healing from ACNE, pimples, burns, and scrapes
Why are minerals important for our skin?
- minerals are essential to healthy skin function and cell repair
- normally present in perspiration, minerals nourish the microbiome (skin flora) that is produced at the skin’s sebum layer, which holds moisture in and blocks dirt out
- washing can remove these precious minerals, so the best thing you can do for your skin is to replace them directly
- BEST WATER does just that, with a mineral complex that closely resembles nature’s own formula
- when skin loses softness through the processes of aging, the pores harden and appear larger. BEST WATER counteracts this tension, restoring the skin’s youthful elasticity and allowing pores to shrink naturally. The result is a soft, hydrated and fine texture complexion
Step 3 : Nourish
Lightweight probiotic serum for anti-aging, pore tightening and inflammationSG$119.00 – SG$209.00 Select options SG$119.00 – SG$209.00
OIL WATER is an anti-aging, pore-minimizing, skin-regenerating facial essence.
- Each Bottle contains about 2000 Damask Rose’s Oil & Water, famous for its beauty benefits
- It’s a dual-layer essence that regenerates, protects and soothes, keeping skin soft, supple, and radiant
- Top oil layer: A blend of Damask Rose Oil, Argan Oil, Olive Oil and other 8 plant oils that together improve fine lines, wrinkles, and pigmentation
- Bottom water layer: Gives your skin an extra boost of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants
- Each Bottle contains about 2000 Damask Rose’s Oil & Water, famous for its beauty benefits
Step 4 : Protect
Esthé Powder 15g
The natural concealer that hides imperfections, pores and wrinklesSG$75.00 ADD TO CART SG$75.00
ESTHÉ POWDER conceals fine lines and pores to reveal flawless, natural-looking skin
It can also be used as a repairing powder, especially for improving the appearance of wrinkles and scars, thanks to its active ingredients of catechins, pearl powder and silk powder:
- Catechins: fight free radicals, protect skin from sun damage, and boost skin’s defence & self-healing abilities
- Pearl powder: Used for centuries as a natural beauty agent for skin brightening, improving skin tone, concealing wrinkles, and lightening pigmentation
- Silk powder: It gives your skin a special glow and helps retain moisture for soft, supple skin
Multitasking moisturizing cream that works as both a barrier cream and a make-up primerSG$8.00 – SG$375.00 Select options SG$8.00 – SG$375.00
WATER CREAM has dual functions. It forms a barrier between your skin and the external environment. It locks in all applied nourishment; it blocks out all external aggressions.
- It’s a combination of 12 different types of flower oil and polymers to form a protective veil between your skin and make-up, preventing colour from settling into your skin, which causes pigmentation.
- Also used as a makeup primer. Evens out your skin tone, gives your foundation a great bond and long-lasting finish.
- Prevents skin’s moisture loss and dryness
Water UV Cream 20g
A natural and organic way to shield from the sun using UV blocking mineralsSG$45.00 ADD TO CART SG$45.00
WATER UV CREAM is a physical sunblock
- Contains Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide as UV reflectors to reflect away UV rays, so they don’t penetrate your skin
- Unlike chemical sunscreens, this one has no harmful chemicals
- This is a water-based, non–greasy, matte finish
- It leaves a velvety texture on the skin after application
- Clary’s natural, herbal scent is a must-try